Discovering All About Microlearning Trends In 2019
Microlearning consists of short, bite-sized learning nuggets. Although short in run length (between 2-5 mins and, typically, not exceeding 7 mins), each nugget is action-oriented and is designed to meet a specific learning outcome.
In the last couple of years, microlearning has moved from being a player on the side to center stage and for good reasons.
In a world that is full of distractions and diminishing attention spans, it is critical to have sharp, focused learning nuggets. Only then do you get the learners’ attention, and they invest in completing it. This is precisely what microlearning-based training delivers.
Learners love microlearning-based training as:
- It is short and focused.
- It can be taken on the go.
- It is available in the learners’ workflow and can be accessed at the
moment of their need.
- It is designed for multi-device support and provides control to
learners on when and how they want to consume it.
- It uses high-impact formats (notably, videos) that are engaging and
L&D teams see value in microlearning on account of:
- Its ability to engage the learners across profiles, that is today’s
- Its ability to provide a sticky learning experience.
- Its high completion rates.
- Its capability to push acquired learning to the application on the
- Its concept of learning paths or learning journeys that can help
learners gain proficiency as well as trigger the required behavioral
- Its innate strength to offset the “forgetting curve” and convert it
to the “retention curve” through ongoing reinforcements.
Based on our long experience in developing Microlearning based training, and what we see in the near future, here is my view of microlearning trends in 2019.